Saturday, April 14, 2012

Slip Casting Natural Sponges














This is a set of natural sponges cast in earthen ware and stone ware slip by a guy named Glythe. The forms are quite organic and their porous nature and cavities inviting ;however, they pushed me to ask myself if they were even designed. If all the work is just an imitation of nature can it really be considered design? I came across this quote by the sculptor Constantine Brancusi which gave me insight about how I felt.

"What is real is not the external form, but the essence of things... it is impossible for anyone to express anything essentially real by imitating its exterior surface."

"When you see a fish you don't think of its scales, do you? You think of its speed, its floating, flashing body seen through the water... If I made fins and eyes and scales, I would arrest its movement, give a pattern or shape of reality. I want just the flash of its spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment